Zithromax (Azithromycin) at Canadian Health&Care Pharmacy
What is Zithromax (Azithromycin)?
Zithromax is a brand name of the drug azithromycin. This is an antibiotic medication that is effective in treating a number of bacterial infections. The drug is a result of many years of hard work from a team of researchers in Croatia. The pharmaceutical researchers had a breakthrough in 1980 when they first created the substance Azithromycin and learned of its properties. In 1980, the drug was patented, and quickly caught the attention of the whole pharmaceutical industry, going on to be sold in Western Europe, the United States, and eventually, many other parts of the world. The success of the drug can be attributed to its great effectiveness. In fact, it is included in the World Health Organization’s List of Essential Medicines, designating it a must-have drug in any professional treatment center. Zithromax has several other names, such as Sumamed, Azithrocin, and others.
How does Zithromax work?
Zithromax is a monograph drug and belongs to the category of antibiotics. Antibiotics are effective in fighting bacterial infections but are ineffective against viruses (such as the flu and the common cold). Different antibiotics work in different ways, but generally, they either kill bacteria or inhibit their growth. In the case of Zithromax, the drug quickly reaches infected areas of the body and actively kills bacteria for a long period of time. A single dose of the drug can have a half-life of up to 68 hours, meaning that it can continue acting even after a few days have passed after the initial dose. This antibiotic is acid-friendly and can be taken with no need for protection from gastric acidity.
What is Zithromax used for?
Zithromax is effective in treating a number of different infections. Among them are:
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. This is an obstructive lung disease, which restricts airflow, making it difficult for patients to breathe. In many cases, this condition occurs as a result of a smoking habit, but environmental and genetic factors can also play a role. Symptoms of this condition include cough, shortness of breath, and wheezing.
- Acute bacterial sinusitis. This is another condition that affects the respiratory system and can take a long time to treat. Bacterial inflammation of the nasal passage causes these passages to become inflamed and swollen, making it difficult for patients to breathe through their nose and causing unpleasant symptoms like facial pain.
- Community-acquired pneumonia. This is a lung disease that affects people of all ages and can lead to severe consequences if not treated. Pneumonia causes cough, dyspnea, chest pain, fever, and other symptoms.
- Acute otitis media. This is an illness better known as an ear infection. It can occur abruptly and cause severe pain and even hearing loss. Children are often at a higher risk of experiencing this condition.
What is the dosage of Zithromax?
Zithromax comes in tablet form, but there is no universal dosage that is applicable for all patients. Upon consultation with a doctor, a proper dosage can be selected. This dosage will depend on the patient’s age, weight, the condition being treated, the severity of the condition, the patient’s medical history, and their body’s response to the drug. Nevertheless, there are certain general guidelines for people with no access to a doctor.
- If bronchitis is being treated, most adults will take a 500 mg tablet every day for 3 days.
- For sinusitis, the same 500 mg daily dose will apply.
- Skin infections will usually require a single dose of 500 mg.
- Treatment of urethritis will usually require a single 1-g dose.
- If gonorrhea is being treated, a single 2-g dose is usually chosen.
- For ear infections, doses are based on weight – 30mg per kilogram of body weight.
- Pneumonia treatment will usually only require a single 500 mg dose.
For children, the doses will usually be lower, and in some cases, the drug will not be recommended at all.
What should I know before taking the drug?
As is the case with any drug, there are several things you should look out for. First of all, you should know that people who suffer from certain medical conditions should not take the drug. These conditions include:
- Liver problems. Liver disease and other deficiencies can make the drug ineffective or even harmful.
- Myasthenia gravis. Patients with this condition may experience a worsening of symptoms.
- Abnormal heart rhythm. Patients with a prolonged QT interval are at risk of arrhythmia.
- Pregnant or breastfeeding women should not take this drug, as it may also affect the child they are providing for.
- Hypersensitivity issues. This drug should not be taken by anyone allergic to it or its active substances.
- Children and seniors. Very old and very young patients should follow doctor’s recommendations before selecting a course of treatment.
There are also several drugs that Zithromax can have negative interactions with:
- Live bacterial vaccines
- Hormonal birth control
- Dofetilide and others
You should also know about the potential side effects of this drug:
- Stomach pain
- Loss of appetite
- Discolored urine
If you experience any severe effects, be sure to get immediate medical help.
Where can Zithromax be purchased?
When it comes to purchasing this drug, many options are available. The traditional choice is to visit your local pharmacy with a prescription and obtain it there. However, this can take a lot of time, as you would need to get a prescription and drive all the way to the store, where you might need to pay a pretty penny for Zithromax. One of the most popular choices today is purchasing the drug online. Many online pharmacies like us offer generic drugs, which are much more affordable than their brand-name counterparts are and can be shipped directly to your home, eliminating the need to go through the time-consuming process described above. These generic drugs have the same effect and characteristics as the original versions but are produced by a greater range of companies, eliminating the drug owner’s monopoly and driving prices down.